Sunday, July 3, 2011

I like an American comedy and I'm not afraid to admit it!

Don't you just love it when you're wrong?  No?  Well, this time I do because I am.  Wrong, that is. My dearest mother, not infrequently, tells me that it takes a big person to admit that he or she is wrong.
I was wrong.  I was wrong about Owen Wilson.
Haven't seen all of Wedding Crashers and it's unlikely that I want to return to complete it, but I really enjoyed Cars 2.  I will, unbegrudgingly, admit that I am a bit of a ...well....um...'Film N*zi'.  To put it mildly.  But let's not dwell on that fact - back to Owen.
Loved him in Cars, loved, loved him in The Darjeeling Limited (and loved Adrien Brody even more; but let's leave that for a different time....ahem) and loved him in Fantastic Mr Fox.  And now I love him in Cars 2.  I must say that he has a very enjoyable, dare I say it comedicly superior, voice (yes, I'm aware I just made up a word - it works for certain government departments in this state, so I'll be taking the same literary licence!).  It's sonorous, rich and textured...I even enjoy the mid-Western/Texan twang of his.  Wonders will never cease...
Cars 2 has lots of recognisable global scenes in it.  Having travelled to the locations used in the film, I was able to have a quiet giggle at the crazy Japanese toilet and relish the aerial shots of London - they were particularly fabulous, extremely well done and seemed to be accurate, though I'd have to view them in slo-mo to give my final verdict on that.
If you have youngsters, take them to see Cars 2; if you don't have children, see the film anyway - it'll give you a good giggle.  I'm planning to see The Trip next week - a quirky English film about travelling, food criticism and impersonations of celebrities' voices...could a film be any more suited to me?!?!
I-R
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment